Injured at work – what now ?


Injured at work – what now ?

You have been injured at work – where to from here ?

This post contains a few handy hints regarding the steps you need to take to enable you to obtain the compensation you are entitled to.

  1. Notify your employer of your injury.

Employers are obliged to keep a register of injuries where you can record details of your injury. If need may be, you can ask someone else to do this on your behalf. You should attend to this as soon as possible and ideally no later than 30 days after your injury has occurred. In the event that your injury was the result of a motor vehicle accident in the course of your employment, you must also notify the police.

  1. Obtain medical treatment.

Depending on how serious your injury is, you need to decide whether to go to a GP or your nearest hospital. It is important that you explain clearly the circumstances of your injury to your treating medical practitioner. If you need to take time off work as a result of this injury, you should ask your medical practitioner to provide you with a WorkCover medical certificate. An initial WorkCover certificate can be for a maximum of 14 days and any subsequent certificates for a maximum period of 28 days. You will need this certificate when lodging your WorkCover claim.

  1. Lodge your WorkCover claim.

To make a claim for time off work as a result of your injury and/or claim reimbursement of your medical and like expenses, you must complete a Worker’s Injury Claim Form. You can find the claim form at any Post Office, or alternatively you can print one out here:

Once you have completed and signed your claim form, you may serve it on your employer either by giving it to your employer in person or sending it by mail.  If you are claiming for time off work, you must also give a WorkCover certificate to your employer. Make sure you keep a copy of these documents for your own records.

Your employer has 10 days to forward the claim to its WorkCover Insurer.

If your employer refuses to accept the claim form, you can lodge it directly with Worksafe at 1 Malop Street, Geelong 3220.

Within 28 days of receipt of the claim form the WorkCover Insurer must make a accept or reject the claim. This time limit does not apply if you only claim for medical and like expenses.

Been injured and seeking compensation?

We can help you whether you've been injured at work, in a motor vehicle collision or due to a defective product or assault. Contact us to talk to one of our lawyers about your case. It's free and confidential.

About the author

kauthenlegal administrator